Saturday, December 20, 2014

Triple C Cookies (Chocolate, Cherry, Coconut Cookies)

These are my husbands favorite cookie...simply.  He likes to have them with a bowl of Cherry Garcia Ice Cream...that is probably his ultimate dessert.

I find that cherries are one of those things that either you like them, or you don't.  I think people relate the cherry flavor to medicine or those awful maraschino cherries in the jar with all that nasty syrupy stuff...and they don't REALLY know what cherries taste like.

I know that when I was pregnant with my son, I could NOT get enough Bing Cherries...I ate the mall the time...ever since, I love cherries!  But my love will never compare to that of my husband's...he just LOVES cherries.  His top 3 desserts would be Cherry Cobbler with Ice Cream, Cherry Ice Cream with Cobbler and these Cherry Cookies.  If there is a Cherry option, that IS what he picks...but these are simple and wonderful!

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup old fashion rolled oats
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup dried tart cherries (this is really best when you get the big plump ones from Whole Foods or Fresh Market)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I actually have used both sweetened and unsweetened and it's good both ways)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Gently combine and stir together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.  In the bowl of a mixer, add butter and both sugars, beat with paddle until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix on medium.  When that is completely incorporate begin to add in the flour mixture a little at a time until it is all combined.  Turn mixer to low and add in oats, chocolate, cherries, coconut and walnuts.  Scape the bottom with a spatula to make sure everything is combined.   Using a table spoon, scoop out even drops and place them on cookie sheet a couple of inches apart.  Bake for 14 minutes or until just beginning to bow non the edges.

These keep in a large ziploc bag or airtight container for several days and freeze well!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment