Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Beef Tenderloin - How to trim and slice

$26.  That's usually what it costs to walk into the grocery store and grab a 2 pack of filet mignon.  Regular price, these days, is $17.99 per pound.  You can always have the butcher cut it to whatever size you want, but still....that's expensive!  If you hang out and keep tabs, the whole tenderloins go on sale every couple of months.  Yesterday I picked up 1 for $11.99 per pound.  Yes, it can be intimidating, but truly it is soooooooo much better!

I plan ahead and cut pieces into varying sizes and label them.  For example, I know that we are having family into town in a couple of weeks and I would like to fix tenderloin over Boursin cauliflower mash with balsamic mushrooms and onions, so I cut a piece from the center that will feed 4 adults and 4 children.  Most of the other pieces I cut to feed 4, since that will be a good meal for our family.  Then I bag them up in freezer bags and freeze them.  If you are freezing them, put them into the fridge for about 24 hours before you plan to cook it to allow it to thaw completely!

What to look for...
I like to look for a tenderloin without too much visible fat, but mostly I look for it to be similar girth from end to end for the maximum similar center cuts!

The piece I am working with is just over 7 lbs. and was $85, normally would be $125!  So huge savings!  As you watch the video, look out for the piece that I cut for my company dinner...this piece weighs in at just about 3.25 lbs.  So, if you walked into the store and had them cut that at the count on a normal day, it would ring out at $60!  I paid $85 for this entire tenderloin!!!!!!

First things first, clear your counter space and sharpen your knives.  I like to use a smaller carving knife when trimming the fat, and then go to a large one when I start slicing.  Make sure your knives are really really sharp for this!  I promise it will make it much easier and yield a way better steak!











Prep your space

Sharpen those knives



Remove wrapping and rinse meat, then pat dry and trim.

Once you have them cut up, bag them in freezer bags, label them according to how many they are cut for, date and freeze.

I used this little bit of tail pieces for vegetable beef stew or Beetle Bug Stew to the kiddos!






No comments:

Post a Comment