Sunday, May 15, 2016

Paleo BBQ


This meal is so awesome because it is DELICIOUS, it makes a ton, and can be used for several meals!  I am using the leftovers later this week to stuff red bell peppers and top with enchilada sauce and although it sounds weird, it makes fabulous taco and enchilada meat!  The best part about it, although it took 8+ hours to cook, I was hands on for only about 10 minutes!  

True story, this BBQ is so yummy that yesterday when I made this ahead, (so I could photograph it) my 3 year old pitched a fit when she found it I was saving it for today!  This is such a crowd pleaser that my very Southern, not at all Paleo extended family, regularly asks me to make my BBQ for family events!  

The recipe I am giving you is our favorite; however, if you prefer a more tomato based sauce, add a can of organic crushed tomatoes to this recipe!

If you like it more spicy, add 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cayenne or ancho chili powder.

If you like it more Carolina style, double up on the mustard!

It is CRAZY versatile and couldn't be more simple!

BBQ Recipe
Pork Should / Boston Butt (mine was 6.75lbs)
Rinse the meat in cool water and place into slow-cooker with fat side up.  Set slow-cooker to high for 8 hours and walk away!
After 8 hours, the meat should break apart VERY easily, if it doesn't, cook for another hour and check it then!  All slow-cookers, cook a little different!  But you can't really overcook it!  I have left it one for 10+ hours before!

Carefully drain liquid fat into heat proof container, carefully remove the layer of fat from the top of the meat using tongs and a meat fork.  Hint: that's the translucent jiggly part.

Remove bone with tongs, it should pull right out with little to no force.  
Break up the meat by twisting it with tongs or remove the shoulder and chop if you prefer.
Pour 2/3 of the sauce over the meat and toss right in slow-cooker.
Allow to cook in slow-cooker, UNCOVERED for about 15-20 more minutes.
Serve with remaining sauce!

Marinade 
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil


Put all ingredients into a large clean jar and shake, shake, shake, dance around and shake....and done!

Check it out LIVE!!!!




Rinse the meat off under cool water and place fat side up, into slow-cooker.  Turn it to high heat for 8 hours.


After approximately 8 hours, or when the meat breaks up easily with a meat fork, gently remove the fat layer from the top with a meat fork.  Pour off the fat and remove the bone, it should pull right out with tongs.  If it doesn't, allow the meat to cook a little longer.


Fat removed and drained and bone removed - notice there is no meat at all clinging to the bone.

Break up the meat by grabbing it with tongs and twisting until it's slightly shredded.  You can remove the shoulder and chop it up if you prefer!


THE SAUCE

Ready to grub!



7 comments:

  1. Do you put any water or oil in the crockpot when cooking the meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No water or anything!!!!! Just the meat! When you place fat side up, as the fat melts down it will baste itself and that will all liquify and allow it to steam itself! ENJOY!!! Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! Totally random but I checked to see if you have a FB page and you are friends with several girls I went to high school with in Salisbury. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! It is such a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently making this and I'm sure there will be tons of leftovers. Any ideas on what to make besides the enchiladas? Also do know how long the sauce my keep in the fridge?
    Ps I'm loving your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks so much! It is tough keeping up and getting all the recipes photographed and blogged, but I am so humbled by all the love! ;) We use the leftovers in the stuffed peppers, also with cauliflower rice or over cauliflower rice, I mix it with the rice and black bean and stuff it into peppers also. It's actually great in tacos too! My hubs likes it with eggs & salsa for breakfast too! Personally I keep the sauce around for about a week, but keep in mind you can use any leftover sauce as a fabulous marinade for chicken, pork or even salmon!!! Let me know how it turns out! Blessings!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Deanna. And it was a success! Even my super picky 5 year old ate it (although I told him it was chicken). I have enjoyed trying your recipes. If only my 5yr old and hubby weren't so picky I would have much better luck. But Sophie and I are enjoying all the veggies especially the zucchini pasta. I have mixed them with whole wheat noodles and boys didn't even know!

      Delete