Sunday, March 8, 2015

Spicy Garlic Shrimp w/ Zucchini Noodles

The hardest and most time consuming part of this recipe is peeling the shrimp and making the zucchini noodles, and as you can see the hubs did that...so obviously this is a simple meal! haha...




Broth Tips: 
It's easy to buy, there are now lots of options, so you can get low sodium organic whatever.  If I buy there are 2 that I like.  I like the Pacific Foods, Free Range Organic Broth in the 4 pack.  This is really convenient because it's good broth, sold in 8oz. cartons.  I feel like when I purchase those huge ones, I never use them all and they go bad before I need them again.  So I like the singles, which is exactly the amount I use to make quinoa, etc.

I also like Better Than Bouillon Organic Chicken Base.  This comes in a jar and is concentrated chicken stock base, you just add water to achieve whatever amount you are looking for.  It's also great to add just a teaspoon or so to chowders for concentrated flavor!  Once opened this keeps well in the fridge!  They also make vegetable, beef, etc.

But, I do cook a whole chicken regularly and reserve the renderings and make my own broth base.  Please refrain from eye roll until you hear me out.  I used to boil a whole chicken to make chicken salad.  My kids LOVE chicken salad, actually one of them asks for it several times per week.  So, it's a regular thing around here.  Once I figured out how easy it was in the crockpot...I had no issue making it for her all the time!  I will never boil a chicken again!  I buy a cut up chicken, put it in the crock pot, salt and pepper and cook on high for 4 hours - DONE!  Allow the renderings to cool, add them to a freezer safe ziploc and voila, homemade concentrated chicken base.  Just add to water.  See told ya.  


What you need...
3 zucchini, spiralized
4 tablespoons butter or ghee, separated (2tbs, 2 tbs)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
1/2 cup chicken or seafood broth
the juice of half a lemon
1/4 tsp cayenne
large handful of fresh parsley, chopped - about 1/3 cup

Add half of butter, garlic and shallots to a sautΓ© pan and turn to medium heat.  Allow them to gently cook for about 4 minutes or until fragrant and translucent.  Add shrimp & squeeze of lemon.  Saute for 3-5 minutes or until pinked and cooked through, remove shrimp to a plate.  Sprinkle shrimp with cayenne pepper, set aside.  Add broth to the garlic mixture in the sautΓ© pan.  Allow to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring as it reduces.  Add remaining butter and continue stirring as it melts.  Once melted, add zucchini noodles.  Toss to coat in garlic butter, cook for about 3 minutes, add shrimp back and mix in parsley.  Stir to combine and serve hot!

What you need...

Spiralize the zucchinis...

Cook butter, shallot and garlic on medium heat...

Add shrimp and lemon..

1 tsp. better than bouillon + 1/3 cup boiling water

voila broth...

Remove shrimp to a plate...

Add broth and cook for about 5 minutes while stirring to reduce...

Sprinkle the reserved shrimp with cayenne...

Add remaining butter...melt...

Add zucchini noodles...

Toss to coat...cook 3 minutes...

Add shrimp back...

Toss in parsley...

stir to combine...


Serve hot...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment